Robertsdale United Methodist Women (UMW)
“Turning faith, hope and love into action on behalf of women,
children and youth around the world.”
The organized unit of United Methodist Women shall be a community of women whoes PURPOSE is to know God and to experience freedom as whole persons though Jesus Christ; to develop a creative supportive fellowship; and expand concepts of mission through participation in the global minitries of the church.
A handbook in our history cabinet is dated 1939 and entitled “The Ladies Aid of Robertsdale Methodist Church” yearbook. We don’t have written history of the organization prior to that date. The three Methodist Churches merged in 1939. At that time, the “Ladies Aid,” the “Women’s Missionary Society,” and the “Wesleyan Service Guild” were all combined as one national organization and they adopted the name of the “Women’s Society of Chirstian Service.” After this merger, our ladies dropped the name “Ladies Aid” and used the name “Women’s Missionary Society” for a time. We formally chartered on September 7, 1940 as the “Women’s Society of Christian Service.”
Meetings were held in the evenings. When some ladies expressed a desire for afternoon meetings, two circles were formed in 1949. The afternoon circle was named the “Anna Poos Circle.” The evening circle was named the “Sarah Miller Circle.” The “Anna Poos Circle” was disbanded in 1951 due to a decrease in attendance. The remaining members joined the “Sarah Miller Circle.”
A young matrons’ group called the “Young Women’s Christian Service” was created in 1959. It was led by Helen Novotny. This group became affiliated with the “Women’s Society of Christian Service” in 1961. It was renamed the “Helen Novotny Circle” on July 11, 1961.
The “Women’s Society of Christian Service” was renamed the “United Methodist Women” in 1972. Our unit held a celebratory service in January 1973 at which time a new charter was signed recognizing our organization’s change of name. The “Friendship Circle” was formed as a morning circle in 1977. It was renamed the “Ruth Sirmon Circle” in 1990.
A circle was created for young school girls of the 2nd grade and older. It was named the “Sarah Miller Angels Circle” and was chartered in 2003. The “Kelly Hullihen Friendship Circle II” was organized in February 2008, primarily for young adult working women.